Workers including nurses, hairdressers, construction workers and those in retail and food could qualify for a tax rebate from HMRC on expenses.  

Staff who have paid out of their own pocket for work-related expenses like car mileage, replacing or repairing small tools, or maintaining branded uniforms, if they are paid through PAYE may be able to get some of that money back.

Workers are urged to check if they can claim their full tax relief entitlement for genuine work-related expenses. If eligible, customers can log in to their Personal Tax Account to claim for their tax relief online and, if their claim is approved, be paid within three weeks.

Claims must be made within four years of the end of that tax year. Eligible employees will be paid tax relief at the rate of pay that they pay tax. For example, if they spend £60 and pay tax at a rate of 20% in that year, the tax relief they can claim is £12.

The majority of claims are for repairing or replacing tools and branded uniforms, professional subscriptions and mileage. Healthcare workers, people in food and retail and those in the construction industry are among the top professions to claim from HMRC.

Customers may be able to claim tax relief on the cost of:

  • repairing or replacing small tools needed to do their job (for example, scissors or an electric drill)
  • cleaning, repairing or replacing specialist clothing (for example, a branded uniform or safety boots)
  • business mileage (not commuting)
  • travel and overnight expenses
  • professional fees and subscriptions

Financial Secretary to the Treasury, Mel Stride MP, said: “We know what a difference tax relief can make to hard-working customers, especially at this time of year. HMRC is keen to make sure customers get all the relief they’re entitled to by using their online service. Tax relief isn’t available for all employment expenses so the online Check If You Can Claim tool is very helpful – then if your claim is approved, your full tax relief will be paid directly into your bank account.”

Employees can check if they are eligible for tax relief on their expenses and claim online at: